Friday, December 2, 2011

CSA & Diet Updates

"Would you like a radish or a turnip?"

So, our CSA isn't as grand as we'd hoped. LOL.

But it's been fun nonetheless! Here's what we picked up last week:


Cabbage, Turnips, a new kind of radish we'd never tried before, sunchokes, herbs, and some carrots

We love the carrots - they have a really different taste, much more flavorful than the ones we're used to eating from the grocery store.

Unfortunately, the SCD diet doesn't allow turnips or sunchokes. Not really disappointed about the turnips, but sunchokes are really good! We tried some when we lived in Jacksonville and actually really liked them. 


This week we also picked up something called Mizuna, which I had never tried before. It's a type of mustard green and we actually really like it. 

It's high in iron and antioxidants, so we've been adding it in with our steamed veggies.
(Dustin has been going a bit Mizuna crazy - I think he ate about a pound of it last night!)


We're having a really fun time getting to know new, healthy foods and recreating our diets. We've been eating a lot of organic, ground turkey because it's easy on both of our stomachs and we love it! We puree carrots at the beginning of the week to add to it, and it vaguely reminds me of chili (except not spicy, of course). It's our new favorite comfort food.

I've also been eating a lot of boiled pears with cinnamon. It's funny how when you cut out all sugar and processed foods from your diet, your taste buds really start to appreciate the natural sugars even more. We're finding that everything tastes better to us. I was eating those pears the other day thinking "Wow, I don't remember pears tasting so amazing!"

As for our health, we're still struggling here and there. 

Dustin had a bad gastroparesis flare-up and had to go to the ER for fluids a few days ago, but since receiving them, he's doing a lot better. We think it was probably a combination of stress (he worries way too much about me!) and his body adapting to this new way of eating. 

My stomach has been all over the place. A lot of up's and down's, and it's discouraging at times, but both of us still feel really confident that changing our diet and lifestyle is going to result in better health. It may take more time than we want it to, but at least we're headed in the right direction and doing all that we can to ensure it.

More updates later! :)

1 comment:

  1. I had to laugh at what the farmer gave ya'll this week! You crack me up girl! Glad the carrots were good though huh! Glad Dustin is feeling better! I am not sure what Mizuna is but I never imagined my bro eating a bowl of it! How awesome ya'll are really sticking to this new healthy living lifestyle. I remember the days of Dustin and I chomping on cheeseburgers...hey bro remember that LOL...glad he is feeling better...hope you are too!
    xoxo
    Sums

    ReplyDelete